Chocolate lovers rejoice! This delicious vegan chocolate protein shake makes for one quick, delicious, and healthy breakfast idea. If you decide to add instant coffee, it's like a having your morning coffee for breakfast, except it's packed with nutrients to keep you going strong.
The protein in this healthy chocolate shake is all natural, coming mainly from the hazelnut butter and milk. There is no need to add protein powder. You can make your own hazelnut butter if you're having trouble finding it in the store. You can also substitute almond, sunflower, peanut or walnut butter. Peanut butter will add flavor. This is a dairy-free vegan protein shake, but you can use regular milk if you are not concerned about keeping it vegan and/or dairy-free.
- 1 cup hazelnut milk. Or any nut milk. This easy and simple homemade walnut milk is a tasty option! We also love almond milk. You can use regular milk if you are not concerned about keeping it vegan.
- 1 small banana. Sliced and frozen. Bananas are a great substitute for ice cream. For a low carb version, you can substitute ½ to 1 cup of crushed ice.
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut butter. If you can't find hazelnut butter, you can easily make your own. We did using this simple hazelnut butter recipe from Minimalist Baker. We omitted the cinnamon and added 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. You can keep the cinnamon to make a chocolate cinnamon protein coffee shake, which would be just as delicious! For a milder flavor, substitute almond butter. My husband and I love it this way as well! Some grocery stores have nut butters in their bulk section. You can grind just what you need and save some money. It doesn't hurt to check! This super easy homemade walnut butter is a great option also.
- 1½ teaspoon instant coffee. Optional. You can add more or less to taste or omit it altogether.
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. We love chocolate so we used 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. You can adjust this to taste.
Breakfast recipes don't get any simpler than this. Simply add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. If desired, serve in a chilled glass.
- You will also need a small food processor if you decide to make your own hazelnut or walnut butter.
- Peppermint Mocha Protein Shake. Add 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or fresh peppermint to taste.
- Keto Coffee Shake. Omit the banana and add ½ to 1 cup of crushed ice. If desired, you can also omit the cocoa powder.
- Vegan Chocolate Shake. Omit the instant coffee.
- Banana Chocolate Shake. Follow the recipe and instructions for this banana shake, but add 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder.
🥤 Related Recipes
If you like this recipe, you may enjoy these healthy breakfast recipes as well.
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below and don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick & easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
Chocolate Protein Shake
- 1 cup hazelnut milk Or any nut milk
- 1 small banana Sliced and frozen
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut butter
- 1½ teaspoon instant coffee Optional. Add more or less to taste or omit it altogether.
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.Pour into a chilled glass and enjoy.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.