This refreshing banana shake is just what you need for breakfast this morning or lunch this afternoon or dinner this evening for that matter! It's super good, and thick and creamy, thanks in large part to the banana.
In fact, you don't even need ice cream for this one. Did you know that banana makes a great dairy free, vegan substitute for ice cream? It does! (source) We do use ice cream here, but you certainly don't have to if you are looking for a shake that doesn't use ice cream. Simply add extra banana and substitute coconut milk for a dairy free, vegan version of this delicious, easy banana milkshake.
For another dairy-free vegan shake, check out our yummy chocolate protein shake. We also have a delicious coconut shake, butterscotch shake (with homemade butterscotch sauce!), and peanut butter shake that you may want to try next!
✨ Why This Recipe Works
- It takes less than 15 minutes to make!
- You can make it vegan if you'd like.
- It's super delicious! If you love bananas, you will love this milkshake!
- It's thick and creamy!
- It's super simple to make.
- It's refreshing!
The bananas get the same treatment as in our watermelon banana smoothie. They're mixed with brown sugar and slightly heated in the microwave until the bananas are caramelized. This step brings out the flavor in the bananas. This is an optional step that you can omit, but it does make for a more flavorful shake!
- ¼ cup milk. Substitute coconut milk for a dairy free vegan banana shake.
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream. You can substitute frozen yogurt or a small frozen sliced banana for a dairy free vegan version. To freeze the bananas, slice them up, spread a sheet of wax paper on a baking sheet, spread the banana slices out on the wax paper and place them in the freezer until frozen. Remove them from the baking sheet and place them in a freezer bag or airtight, freezer-safe container. They will keep in your freezer for 3-4 months.
- 1 cup sliced banana. One small-medium banana will give you about one cup of sliced banana. For flavor, be sure to use a ripe banana. It doesn't need to be frozen.
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar. The brown sugar brings out the flavor in the banana. I recommend including it, but you can omit it if you like.
- Whipped cream. Optional. For garnish. Substitute vegan whipped cream, if desired.
- Ground cinnamon. Optional. For garnish and flavor.
Step 5. Pour into a chilled glass and top with whipped cream and ground cinnamon if desired.
Click here to learn how to make this banana milkshake in a visual story.
- Banana protein shake. Add a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter or protein powder for a high protein version.
- Chocolate banana milkshake. Add a couple of tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Banana smoothie. Substitute plain or vanilla Greek yogurt for the ice cream.
🥤 More Delicious Shake and Smoothie Recipes
More delicious milkshakes and smoothies to make and enjoy!
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick and easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
- ¼ cup milk Substitute coconut milk for a dairy free vegan version.
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream You can substitute frozen yogurt or a small frozen sliced banana for a dairy free vegan version.
- 1 cup sliced banana One small-medium banana will give you about one cup of sliced banana. It doesn't need to be frozen.
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- whipped cream Optional.
- ground cinnamon Optional.
- Add sliced banana to a small bowl. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top and microwave on high for about 20-30 seconds.
- Stir the brown sugar and banana and set aside to cool.
- In a large blender, add all ingredients in this order: milk, ice cream, and banana.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a chilled glass and top with whipped cream and ground cinnamon if desired.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Leave a Reply