This delicious and healthy papaya smoothie has been a breakfast staple at our house for a while now, and I thought it was high time I shared it with you! It's a super simple recipe with only 4 ingredients. It's also really easy, and quick if you don't count the time it takes to freeze the papaya. We love smoothies around here! If you do too, don't forget to give our watermelon banana smoothie a try!
Like pineapple and mango, papaya is a tropical fruit. It contains high levels of antioxidants like vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E, among other health benefits. Don't take our word for it though. Read more about the health benefits of papaya at Nourish by WebMD.
This recipe takes only 4 simple ingredients, 3 if you omit the coconut extract, which is totally optional.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk. You can substitute this easy homemade walnut milk or almond milk for an extra protein boost. Regular milk is fine as well, but it will add calories.
- ½ cup Greek yogurt. You can substitute frozen yogurt or a small sliced banana for a dairy free, vegan version.
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract. This adds delicious tropical flavor. It's totally optional though. Feel free to omit it, if desired.
- 1 cup papaya. Chopped and frozen.
🥭 How to Prepare the Papaya
If you have never worked with fresh papaya before, this tutorial will show you how to select, peel, chop and freeze your papaya for this smoothie recipe.
📝 Instructions for the Smoothie
A powerful blender is all you need for this recipe. The one we use is linked below.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. It comes in at just under 200 calories per serving, has only 4 grams of saturated fat, and contains no added sugar. Be sure to use unsweetened coconut milk and select a Greek yogurt that contains no added sugar.
Mango, banana, and pineapple all go very well with papaya. In fact, for a vegan version of this smoothie, substitute banana for the yogurt.
Nut butter makes a great addition for extra protein. This homemade walnut butter is great, or you can go with an all natural commercial nut butter. Just be sure to look for one that has no added sugar. You can also add your favorite protein powder. Flax or chia seeds make a great addition for added nutrition.
🔖 Related Recipes
More delicious breakfast smoothies and shakes!
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below and don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick & easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup Greek yogurt You can substitute frozen yogurt or a small sliced banana for a dairy free vegan version.
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup papaya Chopped and frozen.
- Add ingredients to a blender in this order: milk, yogurt, coconut extract, papaya.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a chilled glass and enjoy.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.