We thought it was high time that we shared a dessert smoothie recipe, and what better way to start than with this delicious apple pie smoothie! Now when we say "dessert" that doesn't mean that it's loaded with sugar and fat. Not at all. This healthy smoothie is actually good for you, but tastes just like your favorite apple pie. Plus, like our other smoothie recipes, it's super simple.
Smoothies are a great option for breakfast when you're pressed for time. You might want to check out this mango protein smoothie, papaya smoothie, watermelon banana smoothie, or chocolate protein shake. For something a little more substantial, check out banana smoothie bowl, mango smoothie bowl, and tropical smoothie bowl.
❤️ Reasons to Love This Recipe
- It's healthy. Unlike an actual apple pie, this smoothie is very healthy. Therefore, you can enjoy it guilt free. You've gotta love a dessert smoothie!
- It's easy. Okay, a recipe doesn't get any easier than this. Simply chop (and not much chopping at that!), dump, and blend.
- It's quick. Done and ready for your belly in five minutes or less!
- It's simple. This is a seriously simple recipe. It take a mere six ingredients (only three if you choose to use prepared apple pie spice).
- It's tasty. Last, but certainly not least, it's delicious. I think that goes without saying, but is worth mentioning. 😉
- Almond milk. Unsweetened.
- Ground cinnamon. Adds flavor. You can substitute 11/2 teaspoon of prepared apple pie spice for the spices in this recipe or follow this homemade apple pie spice recipe from My Baking Addiction.
- Ground nutmeg. Adds flavor.
- Ground ginger. Adds flavor.
- Medium Gala apple. Unpeeled and chopped. You can substitute your favorite apple. Gala is on the sweeter side. For a tarter apple, go with Granny Smith.
- ½ large banana. Chopped and frozen. Used as a thickener. See below for banana substitutes.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Milk - Instead of almond milk, you can substitute this easy homemade walnut milk, regular milk, soy, coconut milk.
- Oats - Oats can be used as a substitute for the banana. When making the smoothie, add ¼ cup of rolled oats to the blender and grind into a fine powder. Then add remaining ingredients and blend. You can also use chia seeds as a substitute for the banana. Add 1 tablespoon to the blender along with the other ingredients.
- Apple Pie Spice - As mentioned above, to make things simple, you can substitute 11/2 teaspoon of prepared apple pie spice.
- Protein apple pie smoothie - Add a heaping scoop of vanilla protein powder or a tablespoon of nut butter for added protein.
- Apple pie smoothie bowl - Reduce almond milk to ½ cup and add 1 cup Greek yogurt and one whole frozen banana (peeled and sliced). Top with sliced apple and chopped walnut.
🤝 What Goes With This Smoothie
Since the calorie and protein content of this smoothie is relatively low, you may need a little something extra to enjoy with it.
- Banana Protein Muffins. These banana protein muffins would be perfect with this smoothie. They have 11 grams of protein each.
- No Bake Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars. These are tasty make ahead, treats that would taste great with this smoothie. We can't stop eating these when they're around!
- Apple Scones. For double the apple flavor, give these easy five-ingredient apple scones a try.
- Oat and Honey Granola Bars. These are like eating a candy bar for breakfast, but they are a nutritious whole food option.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Breakfast Bars. A simple three-ingredient recipe that we're sure you will enjoy.
You can make this smoothie the night before and store it in an airtight container in your fridge overnight.
🥤 Related Recipes
See more smoothies and parfaits →
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick and easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
Apple Pie Smoothie
- 1 cup almond milk Unsweetened.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 medium gala apple Unpeeled and chopped. You can substitute your favorite apple. Gala is on the sweeter side. For a tarter apple, go with Granny Smith.
- ½ large banana Chopped and frozen.
- Pour almond milk into a high speed blender. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, chopped apple, and frozen banana.1 cup almond milk, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger, 1 medium gala apple, ½ large banana
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a chilled glass and enjoy.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.