I am a huge fan of coconut as evidenced by these gluten-free coconut breakfast cookies, coconut cheesecake with lime glaze, and piña colada hand pies. As I mentioned in our butterscotch shake post, my husband and I have been on a milkshake and smoothie kick lately, so this delicious creamy coconut shake just had to be made and devoured.
This milkshake is a super simple recipe that uses only 3 ingredients. It's also quick, coming together in 5 minutes or less.
- ⅔ cup coconut milk. This is a great dairy-free, plant-based milk option that also adds delicious coconut flavor! Look for it in a carton in the dairy section of your grocery store. Your store may carry cans of coconut milk also. We used the carton coconut milk. If you want more concentrated coconut flavor, go for the canned stuff. You should still only need ⅔ cup of canned coconut milk.
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream. You can sub coconut ice cream if you can find it. You can also substitute frozen yogurt or a couple of small frozen sliced bananas for a vegan coconut shake.
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract. Adds flavor.
- Whipped cream. Optional.
- Unsweetened coconut flakes. Raw or toasted. Optional.
- Maraschino cherry. Optional.
💪 Nutrition Info
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for this recipe, or any recipe on this site, is not guaranteed.
This is a summary of the nutrition information for this recipe. Full nutrition info is in the recipe card below.
- Calories. This coconut shake has 850 calories. If you want to lighten it up you can substitute 2 small sliced frozen bananas for the ice cream. It will add banana flavor, but it pairs well with the coconut. To freeze the bananas, peel and slice them up. Lay a piece of wax paper on a baking sheet and spread the sliced bananas on top. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for a day or two. Once frozen, you can place the frozen bananas in a freezer bag or airtight freezer-safe container or you can use them right away in this milkshake. Subbing in bananas will bring the calorie count down to 484 calories.
- Carbs. 27 grams.
- Protein. 12 grams. If subbing bananas for the ice cream
- Fat. 61 grams.
- Saturated Fat. 29 grams.
- Vegan Coconut Shake. Sub in two small frozen sliced bananas for the ice cream. Use vegan whipped topping, if desired.
- Coconut Protein Shake. Add 1-2 tablespoons of a mild-flavored nut butter, like almond, walnut, or cashew, or your favorite protein powder. Follow the label for appropriate serving size.
🔖 Related Recipes
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick and easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
- ⅔ cup coconut milk
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream Or coconut ice cream if you can find it. You can substitute frozen yogurt or a small frozen sliced banana.
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- whipped cream Optional.
- coconut flakes Raw or toasted. Optional.
- maraschino cherry Optional.
- Add all ingredients to a large blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a chilled glass and top with whipped cream, coconut flakes, and a maraschino cherry, if desired.