I have really gotten into dates lately. A few days ago I shared a recipe for Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Herbed Goat Cheese, and now today I present you with these delicious gluten-free coconut cookies. Dates provide a lot of the sweetness for this recipe. It also includes brown sugar. All-in-all it's a healthy recipe, albeit not low in calories. These little cookies would be great to bring along on the hiking trail because they bear a good amount of protein due to the walnuts and eggs.
In addition, they are gluten-free. So if you are gluten intolerant or know someone who is, these little gluten-free coconut cookies are a great option. Plus they are easy to make and do not require any special ingredients. They come together in about 30 minutes.
When you make these cookies, you will want to make sure that you grind the walnuts to a fine consistency. The more you grind them, the more they will release their oils, which will help to hold the dough together. If you do not grind the walnuts enough, the dough will crumble and be difficult to shape into balls.
Another helpful tip is to weigh the dough when you're measuring it out to shape into balls. That way you get evenly-sized cookies. I don't have a kitchen scale, but I do have a postal scale, so I used that. I weighed each cookie out to one ounce, which yielded two dozen cookies.
Because you are working with nuts, rather than flour, you will end up with a chewy cookie, like these raspberry white chocolate cookies, which is just fine with me.
I hope you love these sweet little gluten-free coconut cookies as much as we did.
Gluten-Free Coconut Cookies
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup dates pitted and chopped
- 2-3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grind nuts and dates in food processor or blender. Grind until you achieve a fine meal consistency. The released oils will help the cookie batter hold together.
- Mix 1-½ cup coconut and remaining ingredients.
- Scoop up in tablespoons (if you have a kitchen scale it helps to weigh each scoop in order to get evenly-sized cookies. I weighed mine at 1 ounce each). Shape into balls and roll in coconut. You may need to add coconut.
- Bake on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Cookies are done with the coconut has an amber color, about 10-15 minutes.Enjoy!