This tasty overnight vegetarian tater tot breakfast casserole is just the thing you need when you're looking to feed a crowd for breakfast or brunch but don't want to put in a lot of effort the morning you serve it. It's prepared the night before then you simply bake it the next morning! Of course, you could always prepare it the morning you plan on serving it and bake it right away. It's a great holiday breakfast idea too!
We love overnight breakfast recipes around here - like this overnight sausage breakfast casserole or these dairy-free overnight oats.
❤️ Reasons to Love This Recipe
- It's a crowd pleaser. This vegetarian tater tot breakfast casserole can easily feed nine hungry people. You will certainly have them asking for the recipe as well!
- It's easy. There really isn't much that needs to be done to prepare this casserole. The hardest part might be chopping the veggies and grating the cheese, but even that is no biggie. You could always buy pre-grated cheese, but we've found that freshly-grated cheese melts better.
- It's make ahead friendly. You will love that you can prepare everything the night before and store the whole casserole covered in your fridge overnight. Then, all you have to do the next morning is bake and enjoy!
- And of course, it's vegetarian!
- Frozen Tater Tots.
- Olive oil. This is used to sauté the mushrooms and onions.
- Sweet onion. Diced.
- Sliced cremini mushrooms. You can substitute your favorite mushroom variety.
- Heavy cream. For a lower fat version, you can substitute half and half or milk.
- Salt. Salt enhances the flavor of this breakfast casserole. You can add more or less according to your taste.
- Smoked paprika. We love the flavor that smoked paprika adds, but you can substitute regular paprika, or ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Large eggs. Beaten.
- Small red bell pepper. Diced. Adds color and flavor.
- Small green bell pepper. Diced. Adds color and flavor.
- Cheddar cheese. Grated.
- Monterey Jack cheese. Grated.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
- Medium zucchini. Sliced. Adds nutrition and visual interest.
- Chopped fresh basil. Used as a garnish. You can also garnish with micro greens, thyme, or parsley.
See recipe card for quantities.
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Alternatively, you can bake it right away.
The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Bake covered for about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly and the casserole is cooked through about another 25 to 35 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly then garnish with fresh basil or micro greens.
- Measuring spoons.
- Liquid measuring cups.
- Chef's knife.
- 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
- Large skillet.
- Large bowl.
Click here to learn how to make this breakfast casserole in a visual story.
- Spicy - Substitute cayenne pepper for the smoked paprika and add a diced jalapeño or two.
- Meat lovers - Add cooked sausage, bacon, or ham. You can either leave the mushrooms or substitute them for your breakfast meat of choice. Add the cooked meat along with the cooked onions.
We recommend freezing any leftovers right away in individual freezer-safe meal prep containers. Casserole will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat individual servings in the microwave on high until heated through.
🥚 Related Recipes
Love this vegetarian tater tot breakfast casserole? Don't miss these delicious breakfast casseroles to try next!
See more egg and potato recipes →
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick and easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
Vegetarian Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 32 oz. bag frozen Tater Tots™
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion Diced.
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt Or to taste.
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 large eggs Beaten.
- 1 small red bell pepper Diced.
- 1 small green bell pepper Diced.
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese Grated.
- 1½ cups Monterey Jack cheese Grated.
- salt and pepper To taste.
- 1 medium zucchini Sliced.
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray or rub with butter. Arrange the tater tots in the bottom of the dish.1 32 oz. bag frozen Tater Tots™
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Then add the mushrooms and stir and cook until mushrooms are browned, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms to a plate.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 medium sweet onion, 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- Add onion to hot skillet, lower heat to medium, and stir and cook until onions begin to turn translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a minute or two, then sprinkle onions and mushrooms over the tater tots.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, cream, salt, paprika, eggs, bell peppers, and half the cheeses.¾ cup milk, ¾ cup heavy cream, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, 6 large eggs, 1 small red bell pepper, 1 small green bell pepper, 1½ cups cheddar cheese, 1½ cups Monterey Jack cheese
- Pour the mixture over the tots and mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the zucchini slices over the top and top with remaining cheese.1 medium zucchini, salt and pepper
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Alternatively, you can bake it right away.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Bake covered for about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly and the casserole is cooked through about another 25 to 35 minutes.Allow to cool slightly then garnish with fresh basil.1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Leave a Reply