Our homemade cream cheese breakfast pastry squares are perfect for brunch parties, baby showers, Mother's day brunch, work parties, or any time you desire a delightful sweet treat for breakfast or brunch.
This recipe uses frozen puff pastry so it comes together in a jiffy. You don't have to worry about measuring, sifting, or ingredient ratios to make this easy recipe. You mix a few simple ingredients, roll out the dough and add your toppings. It doesn't get any easier or better than that!
You will need the following equipment to make this recipe (affiliate links):
- Baking sheet. If your oven is large enough accommodate them, you can prepare two sheets of pastries and bake them both at once.
- Medium glass bowl. For mixing the cream cheese filling.
- Electric mixer. To make the cream cheese filling.
- Rolling Pin. To roll out the puff pastry dough to a 10 ½ inch square. Your pastry sheet may already come out that size. If so, you will not need a rolling pin.
- Pastry brush. To apply an egg wash to the unbaked pastry dough.
- Cream cheese (1 8-oz. package). I do not recommend going with a generic brand here. Use a good brand like Philadelphia. If cream cheese is not available, you can do a 1:1 substitute with mascarpone cheese instead. If you are looking for a vegan option, check out the recipe for cashew cream on Jessica in the Kitchen. Please note that I have not personally tried these substitutes myself.
- Large eggs (2), divided. You will use one egg in your cream cheese filling and one as an egg wash.
- Granulated sugar (⅓ cup). Adds sweetness to your cream cheese mixture.
- Pure vanilla extract (1 teaspoon). Adds flavor.
- Frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed in the refrigerator. Work with one sheet at a time and leave the second one in the refrigerator until ready to use.
You have many choices when it comes to the fruit toppings. You can use pie filling, preserves, compote, curd, or fresh fruit. I used pie filling and thinly-sliced fresh apples and pears. A few suggested toppings:
- Fruit pie filling (1½ - 2 cups). I suggest cherry, apple, blueberry, or blackberry. You can also use prepared jam, strawberry compote, or our homemade lime curd.
- Fresh pear and/or apple, cut into 4-6 thin slices. I left the skin on for color and texture. If you prefer, you can peel them first.
- Ground cinnamon (optional). If you decide to go with fresh apple and pear slices, ground cinnamon will add an extra layer of flavor.
Step 1. Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and one egg with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
Step 2. On a piece of parchment paper, roll one puff pastry sheet into a 10½-inch square. Cut into nine 3½-inch squares.
Step 3. Carefully move parchment paper to a baking sheet. Prick each pastry square center several times with a fork. Leave about ½-inch of edges untouched.
Step 4. In a small bowl, combine second egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Use a pastry brush to brush mixture over each pastry square.
Step 5. Spread each square with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture.
Step 6. Top each square with pie filling or sliced apple or pear. Sprinkle ground cinnamon on the squares that contain the sliced fruit.
Step 7. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden. Remove and let cool on wire racks.
Repeat steps 1-7 with remaining puff pastry.
💡 Tips for Success
- Do not fill your cream cheese breakfast pastry squares with too much filling. It may overspread and spill over the side of your pastry.
- Use the fork to prick only the middle of each square. Ideally each side will puff up in the oven and create a nice little pocket in the middle.
- Thaw for about 30 minutes before using and keep the second pastry sheet chilled in the refrigerator until you are ready to work with it.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a piece of parchment paper large enough to accommodate it. This makes it easier to transfer to a baking sheet.
- The pastry dough works best when cold, so try not to handle it too much.
- Always preheat the oven before baking. Do not use a microwave or toaster oven.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
Ideally, your cream cheese breakfast pastries should be eaten within a few hours after baking them.
We don't recommend pie dough because it does not puff up like puff pastry. The rise is necessary to hold the filling and toppings in the center.
You can prepare the filling ahead of time and store it covered in the refrigerator for a day. You should assemble and bake then when you're ready to serve them. Keep the puff pastry dough in the freezer and remove it to the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you are ready to assemble and bake the pastries.
🥐 More Pastry Recipes
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below and don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick & easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
Cream Cheese Breakfast Pastry
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese Use a good brand like Philadelphia
- 2 large eggs divided
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry thawed in the refrigerator
- 1½ - 2 cups fruit pie filling suggested: cherry, apple, blueberry, blackberry
- 4-6 slices fresh pear cut into thin slices (optional)
- ground cinnamon To taste. (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and one egg with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- On a piece of parchment paper, roll one puff pastry sheet into a 10½-inch square. Cut into nine 3½-inch squares.
- Carefully move parchment paper to a baking sheet. Prick each pastry square center several times with a fork. Leave about ½-inch of edges untouched.
- In a small bowl, combine second egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Use a pastry brush to brush mixture over each pastry square.
- Spread each square with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture.
- Top each square with pie filling or sliced apple or pear. Sprinkle ground cinnamon on the squares that contain the sliced fruit.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden. Remove and let cool on wire racks.Repeat steps 1-7 with remaining puff pastry.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.