Take your breakfast to the next level! Sun-Dried tomato pita bread, pesto, three kinds of cheese, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, roasted red peppers and scallions. A delicious and hearty breakfast panini that will keep you going all morning. Ready in less than 30 minutes!
I've been on a breakfast kick lately. Being obsessed with breakfast is a new thing for me. In the past, my typical breakfast consisted of a protein bar eaten in the car on the way to work and then a small bowl of canned fruit once I got there. A breakfast designed to be functional but not necessarily delicious. Now that I'm working from home, I guess I'm making up for lost time and lost breakfast options! Beginning with my mascarpone crepes with nutella filling (dessert for breakfast!), then strawberry compote, maple pecan scones, French toast stuffed with strawberries and bananas, quiche Provencale, butter pecan syrup with cornbread pancakes, and orange Craisin muffins, breakfast has already featured prominently on this young blog, and shows no signs of letting up!
I used my homemade sun-dried tomato pita bread for this recipe, but any pita or flatbread would work. You can also use a crusty bread like French bread (like I did for my Caprese panini) or ciabatta bread (portobello panini bites). I discovered with this sandwich that pita bread works great for paninis, and I'm not sure that I would use anything else from now on. It makes for a perfectly crispy sandwich and the bread is not as likely to burn. I think I'll be using pita bread for paninis from now on!
It was also featured by Jenny for Foodie Friday and DIY Link Party #71. A big thank you to Jenny at Honey & Birch, Michelle at A Dish of Daily Life, Christie at A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures and Christine at Curried Canteloupe for hosting FoodieFriDIY!
The parties are open every Friday so stop by and link up!
Breakfast Panini (Fast!)
- grill pan or panini press
- 2 pita breads
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 2 eggs scrambled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pork sausage patty
- 2 strips bacon
- 1/3 cup roasted red pepper
- 1-2 tbsp. butter melted
- 2 scallions (green onions) chopped
- Add bacon to a cold medium skillet. Place the skillet over medium heat. When the bacon starts to sizzle and release easily from the pan, turn and cook on the other side. Again, leave it until it releases easily from the pan. Keep turning the bacon so that it cooks evenly. It's done when it's medium to dark brown and crispy. Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- To scramble the eggs: Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Crack the eggs into a small bowl, add a splash of milk, salt and pepper. Beat the eggs with a fork until the mixture is a consistent shade of yellow. Pour eggs into prepared skillet and run a spatula through the eggs and up the side of the skillet until the eggs begin to clump and spatula leaves a trail on the bottom of the skillet. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, gently but constantly folding eggs, until clumped and just slightly wet. Transfer eggs to a bowl and set aside.
- To prepare the sausage: I used a fully-cooked frozen pork sausage patty and just heated them it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Then I chopped it up into small pieces. You can also pan fry the sausage over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink.
- To assemble the sandwiches: Heat your pita bread in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up and make it more pliable. For each sandwich, take one pita bread and spread half of pesto all over one side. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of each type of cheese on one half of the open pita. Sprinkle half of the scrambled egg on top of the cheese. Add sausage, one strip of bacon, roasted peppers and remaining 1/4 cup of each cheese. Fold pita over to make a sandwich and press gently to set. Brush outside of sandwich lightly with melted butter. Repeat for the second sandwich.
- I used a grill pan to make my panini. To use this method: Spray the pan lightly with oil off the heat, then preheat the pan over medium heat. Lay the sandwich in the pan, cover with a piece of aluminum foil and place a Dutch oven or heavy pan on top to weigh the sandwich down. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side. If the sandwiches are getting too brown, adjust the temperature to low-medium. Remove from heat, plate, garnish with scallions and enjoy!
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.