Is it breakfast or dessert? Why not both? This scrumptious raisin bread pudding is perfect for those mornings when you are yearning for something sweet, old world and comforting. Then IF you have any leftover, you can have it later for dessert.
This dish reminds us of our caramel apple French toast, and it's just as tasty too. It also has that autumn cozy feel to it, with the flavors that go along with it.
This recipe is featured in our lineup of easy sweet breakfast recipes. Check them out!
- 1 cup dark brown sugar. Packed.
- 3 slices bread.
- 2 tablespoons butter.
- ¾ cup raisins.
- 3 large eggs.
- 2 cups milk. Whole, 2% or 1%. You can substitute lactose free or nut milk as well.
- ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
It does take a few steps to make this dish, but don't let the step-by-step photos intimidate you. This recipe couldn't be easier. I just wanted to make sure you have a visual on how this recipe comes together.
Step 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
Step 9. Bake for 1 hour. Serve warm with whipped cream. Garnish with ground cinnamon and raisins.
- Apple Raisin Bread Pudding. Peel and dice one Granny Smith apple and sprinkle over the top along with the raisins. Follow recipe as usual.
- Rum Raisin Bread Pudding. The night before, add raisins to a small bowl and pour 1 tablespoon of dark rum over the top. Stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the raisins to absorb the rum overnight. Sprinkle the raisins over the top as instructed and following the recipe as usual.
- Raisin Bread Pudding with Raisin Bread. For a double dose of raisin goodness, substitute the white or sourdough bread with raisin bread. Then follow the recipe as usual.
🍞 Related Recipes
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick and easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
Raisin Bread Pudding
- 1 cup dark brown sugar Packed.
- 3 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup raisins
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups milk Whole, 2% or 1%. You can substitute lactose free or nut milk.
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Butter the bottom of an 8-inch square ceramic or glass baking dish. Sprinkle brown sugar over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Butter the slices of bread and dice. Sprinkle diced bread over the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle raisins over the top of the diced bread.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the raisins.
- Add eggs, milk, salt and vanilla to a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until frothy about a minute or two.
- Pour mixture over the bread. Do not stir.
- Heat water to simmering in a saucepan or teapot. Pour hot water into the bottom of a separate 10x8x3 inch baking dish or one large enough to accommodate the 8-inch square baking dish. Fill halfway with water.Place the 8-inch square baking dish inside the baking dish half filled with hot water.
- Bake for 1 hour. Serve warm with whipped cream. Garnish with ground cinnamon and raisins.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.