This is such a tasty vegetarian antipasto stuffed bread. Plus, you can pull this delicious appetizer together in 30 minutes or less!
I hope you are enjoying your weekend so far! I have a scrumptious vegetarian appetizer for you today. We are in the season for holiday get-togethers and parties, which has me thinking about appetizers. As I mentioned in my post for Chinese pork dumplings, I often make meals out of appetizers. I find that often appetizers are more flavorful than entrees, and this appetizer is no exception. It’s bread filled with antipasto, how can you go wrong?
I know this doesn’t look like the usual holiday season appetizer. It looks more like something to be enjoyed in spring or summer. But I say that any season is a good season to enjoy a selection of delicious veggies. You don’t even have to wait for spring or summer. This recipe uses pickled vegetables, and that’s available year round. The ones that you need for this recipe are called giardiniera. They come in a jar and can usually be found in the olive and pickle section of your grocery store. You may also find it in the deli section.
And don’t think that because it has all of those vegetables that it will be bland. Trust me, it’s loaded with a lot of fabulous flavors! Flavors like pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, fresh parsley and provolone cheese, not to mention the kick of the peppers that are in the giardiniera. As if all that wasn’t enough, we then to put all of this goodness inside a crusty bread loaf. Heavenly!
This is such a quick and easy appetizer. You just layer everything in the bread bowl. I’m sure you’ll love it. It’s a definite crowd-pleaser suitable for your vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends alike.
Oh, and in case you were wondering. Those cute chickadee espresso cups in the photos are available in my shop.
Vegetable Antipasto-Stuffed Bread
- Small bowl
- 1 loaf crusty bread 9-12 inches in length
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup black pitted Kalamata olives chopped
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese
- 1 14-oz jar roasted red peppers
- 1 15-oz can artichoke hearts in water, drained
- 1 cup giardiniera (pickled vegetables) chopped
- Cut the top off of a loaf of crusty bread. Hollow out the inside of the bread. You can cube and save the inside of the bread to make croutons later.
- In a small bowl, mix parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and pesto. Spread the mixture evenly across the bottom of the hollowed-out bread. Layer the cheese into the loaf. Layer the roasted red peppers on top of the cheese. Coarsely chop the artichoke hearts and add them in a layer over the red peppers. Sprinkle in the pickled vegetables. Replace the top. Cut the stuffed loaf into pieces and serve.