Today I present the Thai-Inspired Chicken Wrap! I love wraps, and have had my mind on something like this recipe for a while. Ever since Paradise Bakery discontinued my favorite wrap on their menu. That was a sad day. I walked in there expecting to order my usual, and it was....gone. How could that be? How could they discontinue that little bundle of spicy, peanutty chicken goodness? It's been a while since they discontinued it, and I must say, I don't know how I've gone so long without trying to make it myself at home. After all, the objective of this blog is to inspire you to make your favorite food at home. It's often just as good and definitely less expensive than what you can buy at a restaurant. Shame on me for not making this little beauty sooner!
I spotted this recipe in Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals Get Togethers cookbook. I've had this cookbook for a while, but haven't gotten around to making many recipes from it. I had a hankering for my favorite Thai chicken wrap and saw this recipe. I had to make it immediately! This is a good rendition of the wrap I remember, but I may try it with red cabbage, rather than bean sprouts the next time I make it. I believe that is what Paradise Bakery used. I also ended up doubling the recipe for the sauce. The recipe as written just didn't make enough sauce to suit my taste. Otherwise very good. It will be made again. I hope you love it too. 🙂
Thai-Inspired Chicken Wraps
- 3 6 oz. chicken breasts trimmed and pounded even, if necessary
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- ½ seedless English cucumber peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 scallions sliced on an angle
- 12 leaves basil chopped or torn
- 3 tablespoon chopped mint
- 3 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- salt to taste
- ½ cup chunky peanut butter room temperature (soften in microwave if it has been refrigerated)
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 12-inch flour tortilla wraps
- Heat grill pan over high heat. In a bowl, toss chicken with soy and oil. Grill 6 minutes on each side, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Set aside.
- Combine cucumber, sprouts, carrots, scallions, basil, mint, and sesame seeds with a generous sprinkle of sugar and vinegar. Season with salt, to taste. Slice cooked chicken thinly on an angle. Toss with the salad.
- Whisk peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, and cayenne together. Stream in vegetable oil.
- Place one of the tortilla wraps on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 20-25 seconds. Pile chicken and salad in wrap and drizzle liberally with spicy peanut sauce before wrapping and rolling. Slice in half on an angle and serve.