French toast is a breakfast staple, and for good reason. It's so easy, quick and simple to make, not to mention delicious. We have made a few French toast variations around here like strawberry and banana stuffed French toast, caramel apple French toast, pineapple French toast, stuffed deep fried French toast, and brioche French toast. Plus, I'm sure there are even more to come. This sourdough French toast is very special in its own right. We love the tanginess of the sourdough combined with the delicate flavors of the vanilla and nutmeg. Sourdough is also a crusty and sturdy bread making it perfect for French toast!
❤️ Reasons to Love This Recipe
- It's quick. You can have this made in 30 minutes or less!
- It's easy. To make this easy sourdough French toast recipe it's just a matter of throwing all of your ingredients (except for the bread (and butter), of course!) into a blender, dipping the bread into that mixture, and cooking on the griddle.
- It's simple. It takes just a few readily available ingredients to make this delicious breakfast idea.
- The number of servings is easily adjustable. To make a single serving use 1 egg, ¼ cup milk, ¼ cup granulated sugar, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, a pinch of nutmeg, and 2 slices of sourdough bread.
- 3 large eggs.
- ¾ cup milk.
- ¾ teaspoon granulated sugar. Adds sweetness.
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. You can also use an equal amount of vanilla paste. This is added for flavor and you can use a different flavoring instead, like almond or rum extract, citrus zest, or ground cardamom.
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg. Added for flavor. Feel free to omit if you like.
- 8 slices sourdough bread, ½-inch slices.
- 2 tablespoons butter. This is used to grease the griddle or skillet so that the toast doesn't stick. Feel free to use vegetable cooking spray instead.
Step 1. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat.
Step 5. Repeat step 4 with remaining bread and egg mixture.
Serve immediately, dust with powdered sugar, and drizzle with warm maple syrup.
- Blender. A blender is very convenient for blending the ingredients. If you don't have a blender, a large bowl and hand mixer or whisk will work also.
- Griddle. We love our griddle for lots of things like, pancakes, eggs, and this croque madame. If you don't have a griddle, a large skillet will work as well.
- Large skillet. Use a large skillet if you don't have a griddle.
- Wide non-stick spatula. For turning the French toast.
- Small baking dish. For dipping the bread.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
The French toast is done when it is a light golden brown or has a rough toasted texture. This toast is done in about 4 minutes per side, or 8 minutes.
It is possible to freeze sourdough French toast. However, it is best to eat it immediately. If you do need to store any leftovers, place a slice of wax paper between each slice, wrap the French toast in aluminum foil and freeze. It will keep in your freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, place the frozen slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake at 375 F (190 C) for about 8 minutes. You can also reheat in the toaster. (source)
Yes indeed. Sourdough has a firmer texture making it perfect for French toast. French toast is usually made to use up stale bread. With sourdough bread, you don't have to wait for the bread to become stale. You can make French toast the day you buy the bread, and it will taste great.
🔖 Related Recipes
More French toast recipes to make and enjoy! ❤️
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick and easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
Sourdough French Toast
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract You can also use an equal amount of vanilla paste.
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices sourdough bread ½-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat.Add eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg to a blender and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute.3 large eggs, ¾ cup milk, ¾ teaspoon granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pour mixture into a shallow baking dish.
- Pierce the bread slices all over with a fork. Add a few bread slices to the egg mixture and turn slices until evenly coated.8 slices sourdough bread
- Add butter to the griddle or skillet. Add the slices of bread in a single layer and cook until the undersides are golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Turn and cook the other sides about 3-4 more minutes.2 tablespoons butter
- Repeat step 4 with remaining bread and egg mixture.Serve immediately, dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with warm maple syrup.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.