Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day. I love breakfast foods and can eat them any time of day. This breakfast quesadilla is similar to my popular breakfast panini in that it features scrambled eggs and is quick and easy to make. It will keep you satisfied all morning and you can dress it up any way you like. I love recipes that are versatile like that.
The roasted tomato salsa really adds a lot to this dish, I think. It's the same salsa that I used for my fish tacos. It adds a smoky flavor that pairs very well with the eggs and cheese. The recipe directions have the salsa going inside the breakfast quesadillas, but I think it would be delicious serving it on top of the quesadillas as well. That's what I mean about the versatility. I served mine with salsa fresca, as pictured, and they were yummy that way too. Make this recipe your own. 🙂
You can even do a little preparation ahead of time to make this a weekday meal. You can prepare the roasted tomato salsa ahead and store it in the fridge for up to a week. You can dice the red bell peppers ahead of time as well. I work full-time and run this blog so time is at a premium for me. If that's your story as well, I understand.
I hope you enjoy these quick and easy breakfast quesadillas, and don't forget to subscribe using the form on this page so that you don't miss a post! Your email address is always kept private.
Roasted Tomato Salsa
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 large red onion cut into wedges
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- chorizo crumbles (sausage crumbles or cubed ham may be substituted)
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6 large eggs lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- 6 10-inch flour tortillas
- roasted tomato salsa (recipe below)
Roasted Tomato Salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place tomatoes and onion in a shallow baking pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. of the oil, sprinkle with salt and toss to coat.
- Roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place roasted tomatoes, onion and cilantro in a food processor and process until smooth, gradually adding the remaining oil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (large enough to accommodate tortilla) over medium heat.
- Add ham and red bell pepper; stir and cook until slightly browned and softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add eggs; cook, stirring gently, until scrambled and set, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- Clean out skillet and place 1 flour tortilla on the bottom of skillet. Spread 1-2 Tbsp. roasted tomato salsa over tortilla. Add Mexican cheese blend and mozzarella cheese over entire tortilla. Add egg mixture to one side of tortilla and fold tortilla over.
- Cook until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until second side is golden brown, 1-2 minutes more.
- Allow quesadilla to cool about 8-10 minutes, then cut into wedges. Serve with salsa, sour cream, or whatever your heart desires.Enjoy!
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.