I know there are many variations of this recipe out there, but honestly, I had never heard of this appetizer until a fellow shopper at my local grocery store told me about it while we were both in the bulk foods section. I was buying dates for my Gluten-Free Coconut Cookies, and he told me about this appetizer. Of course that meant that I had to buy extra dates and give it a try. 🙂
This recipe is really so very simple. If you don't have a small food processor, you can always just combine the thyme and goat cheese in a bowl and stir vigorously. I love the combination of goat cheese and thyme. The thyme adds a nice woodsy flavor, and helps ground the sweetness of the dates.
And of course, you can never go wrong with bacon. The saltiness of the bacon combines with the sweetness of the dates and makes for a sublime flavor combination.
I hope you will give these bacon-wrapped dates with herbed goat cheese a try soon. And enjoy!
Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Herbed Goat Cheese
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 42 dates About 3 cups; pitted
- 16 oz bacon 21 strips, uncooked
- In a small food processor, place goat cheese and thyme and process until smooth and thyme is well incorporated.
- Add goat cheese mixture to piping bag fitted with #5 round tip (alternatively, you can use a plastic sandwich bag with a corner snipped off), and fill dates with the mixture.
- Cut bacon strips in half and wrap one half around one filled date. Repeat with all bacon strip halves and dates.
- Place each filled and wrapped date on a shallow baking pan and broil on high 4 to 6 minutes until bacon is browned.Enjoy!