We are approaching the end of summer, and what summer is complete without a tomato recipe? I was looking for a recipe that would accompany my Flat Iron Steak with Chimichurri recipe. This one fits the bill perfectly. Healthy, fresh, easy. What more could you want? The pickled red onion lends an amazing sweetness to this recipe. I don't recommend skipping that step. Pickling the onion first truly does add an extra layer of flavor to this tomato salad that you will not get if you just slice some red onion and toss it in.
Look at all of that beautiful color! It's a fiesta in a bowl. Eye-catching for sure! I opted for small multi-colored tomatoes that I simply cut in half. The dressing is a simple and healthy vinaigrette made up of Dijon mustard, balsalmic vinegar (white or red), pepper, salt, and olive oil.
This recipe makes enough for 10-12 servings, so plenty to share. Unfortunately, it won't last long in your fridge, but it is the perfect side dish to bring to a grill party. You certainly won't be bringing any back home with you, and it is sure to get rave reviews!
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoon balsalmic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2.5 pounds ripe red, yellow, green, and/or orange tomatoes cut into wedges or in half if using small tomatoes
- parsley or radish sprouts as garnish
- Place onion slices in a medium heatproof bowl.In a small saucepan, warm white wine vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.Pour over onion slices, and toss to coat.Cover and chill at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, balsalmic vinegar, pepper, and 1/4 tsp. salt.Gradually whisk in olive oil.
- Place tomatoes in a large serving bowl.Add dressing and toss to coat.Top with drained pickled onions and parsley or radish sprouts.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Recipe Credit: Our Best Recipes by Family Circle