Hello and happy Friday! How about a light and luscious strawberry dessert to sweeten your weekend? The fresh strawberries in my area are still looking beautiful and it’s all I can do to resist putting a basket or two in my shopping cart. I am still exploring the many wonderful ways to use fresh strawberries, and I share this simple dessert recipe with you today. It uses my versatile recipe for strawberry compote, which is great on your pancakes, waffles, French toast, as well as topping your favorite ice cream, pudding, cheesecake or custard. If you don’t feel like making the compote or strawberries are not in season, you can also use strawberry preserves, but you may need to use a little extra to mix with the mascarpone cheese. The strawberry compote has a more fluid consistency and is sweeter than strawberry preserves.
I made this recipe in 6 4 oz. juice glasses, but you can vary it according to your needs. If you do decide to make the strawberry compote, you can make that ahead and keep it in your refrigerator until you need it. Not only will you have enough to use in this recipe, but you’ll have plenty leftover to use in other delicious ways. You can also prepare the mascarpone mixture and whipped cream a bit ahead and then assemble your parfaits right before dinner so they’ll be ready for dessert. After assembling, I like to let them chill once again in the refrigerator before garnishing and serving. This gives the whipped cream a chance to set a bit.
Doesn’t that look delicious? Believe me, it is! If you are looking for a dessert that is easy to make, and not too rich, heavy or sweet, then here you go. It’s the perfect dessert for a peaceful summer weekend and a chance to enjoy those fresh strawberries while they last. 🙂
Strawberry Cream Parfait
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup strawberry compote (or strawberry preserves) plus extra to fill shooters
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- Add mascarpone cheese and 3/4 cup strawberry compote to a medium bowl and mix on low speed until well blended, about 1 minute. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Whipped cream topping
- In a chilled medium bowl, add heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix on low speed until frothy, about 1 minute. Then mix on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 4-5 minutes. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, twist the end of the bag and chill in the refrigerator along with the mascarpone cheese mixture.
Graham cracker mixture
- Prepare this at the last minute so that it doesn't dry out while the mascarpone mixture and whipped cream topping are setting up in the refrigerator. In a small bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar and butter until it resembles wet sand.
- In 6 4 oz. glasses, assemble your parfaits as follows: 1. 2 tsp. graham cracker crumb mixture (pat down with the back of a spoon) 2. 2 tsp. mascarpone mixture (gently pat down) 3. 1.5 to 2 tsp. strawberry compote or strawberry preserves 4. 2 tsp. graham cracker crumb mixture (pat down) 5. 2 tsp. mascarpone mixture (gently pat down) 6. 1.5 to 2 tsp. strawberry compote or strawberry preserves 7. Pipe or spoon whipped cream on top. Let chill in the refrigerator for another 15-30 minutes then garnish with fresh strawberries.