I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for something tasty, easy and inexpensive that I can grab for lunch. It seems like when working a long shift, lunch becomes an afterthought. More often than not I default to either frozen entrees or expensive restaurant food. It's all I can do to even fit in a lunch break, let alone plan a meal. Enter this delicious pesto chicken wrap. It ticks every requirement box, and do you know what's even better? It can be made ahead and meal-prepped, just like these Thai chicken wraps. Read on to learn how easy it is to make!
💚 Reasons to Love This Wrap
- It's easy.
- It takes 30 minutes or less to make!
- It's make-ahead and perfect for meal prep. You can easily put enough wraps together this weekend to have lunch all week! They will keep in your fridge wrapped in foil for up to a week.
If that hasn't sold you, then let me tell you a little bit more about this wrap. The rice, tomatoes, olives, Feta and pesto and chicken blend together to create a salty, and slightly sweet flavor. The nuts and peas give some a nice crunchy texture. Plus all of the colorful ingredients provide a feast for the eyes. I'm afraid my photos don't even do this wrap justice. This recipe is so solid, I even gave one of my pesto grilled chicken wraps to my boss.
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded and trimmed. You can sub boneless chicken thighs as well.
- 2 to 3 cups jasmine rice. The amount you use depends on how much rice you want in each wrap. I used 3 to 4 tablespoons of cooked rice per wrap.
- 1 to 2 medium tomatoes diced. I used fresh tomatoes, but you can sub ½ of a 14 oz. can of drained diced tomatoes.
- ¾ cup Spanish olives. Sliced.
- ¾ cup raw sugar snap peas. Sliced. These add great crunch and texture, not to mention flavor!
- ¼ cup pine nuts. These also add texture, but they are a little on the pricey side. You can substitute chopped walnuts or almonds, or omit the nuts altogether.
- ⅓ cup feta cheese. Crumbled. Adds salty flavor that pairs well with the pesto.
- ⅓ cup pesto. Necessary for flavor. Trust me!
- 6 spinach tortilla wraps. Any burrito-sized wrap will do. We love spinach for their great color!
Step 1. Pound and trim the chicken breasts if the pieces are uneven. I like to marinate my chicken in a marinade of lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. I allowed mine to marinate overnight, but 30 minutes should suffice. You can also just season your chicken with salt and pepper before grilling.
Step 2. Prepare the rice according to the package directions.
The ingredient amounts are just guidelines. You can adjust the amounts according to your preferences and/or requirements.
You will need an outdoor grill or grill pan to make this recipe. That's it!
🌡️ Number of Servings and Storage
This recipe makes 6 wraps. You can easily make them ahead, wrap them in foil, and keep them in your refrigerator for up to a week. I have not tried freezing them. They don't last long enough at my house to freeze them!
🥪 Related Recipes
Looking for more wrap or sandwich recipes? Check these out!
I can't stress enough how incredibly delicious this wrap is. Hurry! Go on and make one for yourself!
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick and easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
This post was first published on October 23, 2015. It has been updated to add more information about ingredients, equipment, and storage. The original recipe is unchanged.
Pesto Chicken Wrap
- 1-½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded and trimmed
- 2-3 cups jasmine rice the amount depends on how much rice you want in each wrap
- 1-2 medium tomatoes diced
- ¾ cup Spanish olives sliced
- ¾ cup raw sugar snap peas sliced
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ⅓ cup pesto
- 6 spinach tortilla wraps
- Pound and trim the chicken breasts if the pieces are uneven. I like to marinate my chicken in a marinade of lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. I allowed mine to marinate overnight, but 30 minutes should suffice. You can also just season your chicken with salt and pepper before grilling. Grill the chicken as you normally would. I used a grill pan. Depending on the size of your chicken breasts and your grilling method, it'll take about 5-8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C). Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions.
- To assemble the wraps: Place one of the spinach tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 20-25 seconds. Lay the warm tortilla out on a piece of aluminum foil cut large enough to accommodate the tortilla. Lay a bed of rice in the middle of the tortilla, add a few chicken pieces, tomatoes, olives, peas, and pine nuts. Spoon some pesto over the top and finish it off with some crumbled Feta. Beginning with the end closest to you, grab the tortilla and roll the wrap up. While rolling grab the left and right sides of the tortilla and fold them in, keep rolling and tucking in sides, use the foil to help keep everything tight.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.