Hello and happy Monday! If you're not too excited about Monday, how about moist, delicious and flavor-packed muffins to brighten your day and get your week off to a good start? I really love the flavor combination of orange and cranberry, and I've been wanting to post a muffin recipe to the blog. I love breads of all kinds, but when I need a freshly-baked bread in a hurry then of course quick breads are the way to go.
I decided to leaved the muffin tops "bare-faced" and didn't include a topping. The muffins themselves are so flavorful with the addition of the Craisins that I didn't think they needed anything else. Also, I didn't want to add any additional calories. However, if you would like, I think they would be great with a chopped nut topping - like walnuts or pecans.
Orange Craisin Muffins
- 2 cups white all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder double acting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons salted butter melted and cooled. If using unsalted butter, increase salt to 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup orange juice Juice from one large orange is usually sufficient
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 egg brought to room temperature and beaten
- 1 cup Craisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Grease and flour a large 6-cup jumbo muffin pan or you can line it with large paper liners.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add milk, butter, orange juice, orange zest, and beaten egg. Stir until combined. Do not overmix. Stir in Craisins until well-distributed.
- Divide batter evenly for 6 muffins into your prepared muffin pan. Each well should be about 3/4 full. If using double acting baking powder, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes to allow the baking powder to start working. If using single acting baking powder, bake your muffins right away.Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. To get a more even bake, turn pans around halfway through baking.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.