Hello and happy Monday! If you’re not too excited about Monday, how about moist, delicious and flavor-packed muffins to brighten your day and get your week off to a good start? I really love the flavor combination of orange and cranberry, and I’ve been wanting to post a muffin recipe to the blog. This muffin recipe seemed like a natural lead-in for many more muffin recipes to come. I love breads of all kinds, but when I need a freshly-baked bread in a hurry then of course quick breads are the way to go.
I decided to leaved the muffin tops “bare-faced” and didn’t include a topping. The muffins themselves are so flavorful with the addition of the Craisins that I didn’t think they needed anything else. Also, I didn’t want to add any additional calories. However, if you would like, I think they would be great with a chopped nut topping – like walnuts or pecans.
Orange Craisin Muffins
- 6-cup muffin tin
- 2 cups white all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoon shortening
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup Craisins
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin pan or you can line it with paper liners. This recipe makes 10 muffins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Mix well.
- Add orange juice, orange zest, shortening, and egg. Mix until well blended. Stir in Craisins.
- Divide batter evenly for 10 muffins in your prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If you turn your pan halfway through baking, your muffins will bake more evenly.