I've said it before, and it's still true. Quiche is a versatile dish that can be appropriately served for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. I love this Italian quiche, most particularly, because it reminds me of my favorite food - pizza! I've been a huge pizza fan since I was a kid. I could easily eat cold pizza for breakfast, but this beautiful quiche definitely steps it up a notch.
If you love to serve quiche for breakfast or brunch, we have several delicious options to try, like quiche Florentine, quiche Provencale, and this lovely leek and mushroom quiche. While it's not a quiche in the truest sense of the word, this ham and cheese frittata is very tasty as well!
❤️ Reasons to Love This Recipe
- It's easy. This quiche is made easy with refrigerated pastry dough. However, if you want to make your own crust, check out our recipe for leek and mushroom quiche where we show you how to make the crust from scratch.
- It's high protein, which means that it will keep you satisfied longer and help build muscle.
- It's a crowd pleaser. You may catch your guests by surprise when you serve this quiche since it tastes so much like pizza. 🙂
- Butter. This is used for sauteing the shallot or onion.
- Medium shallot. Diced. You can substitute ½ of a white or yellow onion. We like using a shallot for its smaller size.
- Garlic. Minced.
- Heavy cream. For a lighter version, you can substitute whole, 2%, or 1% milk. I don't recommend nut milk for this recipe because the high water content could make the crust soggy.
- Mini pepperoni. You can also use regular pepperoni and chop it up.
- Large green bell pepper. Chopped.
- Black pepper.
- Dried Italian seasoning. If you don't have access to Italian seasoning, you can substitute ½ teaspoon each of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram.
- Mozzarella. Grated.
- Parmesan. Grated.
- Unbaked pie crust. Refrigerated.
- Large tomato. Sliced and halved.
See recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
Bake until golden and set in the center, about 40 to 45 minutes. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the crust with foil to keep it from burning.
Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
ℹ️ Make Ahead
If you want to make this quiche ahead, I recommend baking it fully as instructed. Allow it to cool, place it on a baking sheet, and place it in the freezer for a few hours until it's firm to the touch. Then wrap it a couple of times with freezer wrap and aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. The quiche should keep in your freezer for up to a month. Reheat from frozen in a preheated oven (350 F (177 C)) for about 25-30 minutes.
This quiche is best eaten at the time it is baked and served. If you do have leftovers, I recommend following the instructions provided above for making this quiche ahead. Wrap leftover quiche a couple of times in freezer wrap, then aluminum foil. It should keep well in the freezer for up to a month. Reheat from frozen (no need to thaw first) in a preheated oven (350 F (177 C)) for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Reheating time will depend on how much of the quiche you have left. Adjust time as needed.
💡 Top tips
Place the quiche dish on a baking sheet before filling it with the filling. Having it on a baking sheet will make it easier to move it in and out of the oven. The baking sheet will also catch any spills and runover, preventing your oven from getting soiled.
If the crust is getting too brown while baking, wrap just the crust in foil while the filling finishes baking.
🥚 Related Recipes
Made this recipe? We would love it if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free e-cookbook of quick and easy breakfast recipes. Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium shallot Diced.
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mini pepperoni You can also use regular pepperoni and chop it up.
- 1 large green bell pepper Chopped.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1½ cup mozzarella Grated.
- ¾ cup Parmesan Grated.
- 1 Unbaked pie crust Refrigerated.
- ½ large tomato Sliced and halved.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.1 tablespoon butter, 1 medium shallot
- Lower heat to low-medium, add garlic and cook until fragrant about 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.1 teaspoon garlic
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, pepperoni, bell pepper, salt, and Italian seasoning. Stir in the mozzarella, Parmesan, and shallot mixture.6 large eggs, ½ cup heavy cream, 1 cup mini pepperoni, 1 large green bell pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, 1½ cup mozzarella, ¾ cup Parmesan
- To prepare the crust, follow the directions on the package for the crust you are using. We used a refrigerated crust brought it to room temperature, unrolled it, and placed it in a quiche dish. No need to pre-bake. We did fold the edges down inside of the quiche dish to make a sturdier, and nicer looking, side.1 Unbaked pie crust
- Pour the filling mixture into the unbaked pie shell and top with tomato slices.½ large tomato
- Bake until golden and set in the center, about 40 to 45 minutes. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the crust with foil to keep it from burning.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.