Hello! I hope that you had a very Merry Christmas! It's been a few days since I've shared a recipe, and I really missed you all. As I promised in my garlic and herb stuffed chicken breasts post, I'm back to share the recipe for the rice I served with it. Ironically, the title of this recipe is similar. This is garlic and herb long grain rice. It is made with chicken broth rather than water, which gives it so much great flavor, plus it makes it the perfect side dish for a chicken entree. I also like the beautiful color the rice takes on.
This recipe is so simple. It's just a matter of mixing some garlic and herbs with butter, and adding two cups of chicken broth to one cup of rice. What you end up with is an amazingly flavorful side dish just perfect for chicken or pork. You can also use this rice as a main dish if you'd like to add a protein of some sort. It's up to you!
The garlic and herb butter recipe that I included here makes more than you will need for this rice recipe, so you can use the rest of it to make garlic bread or to flavor steaks. I am planning on making lasagna for New Years Day, so I'll definitely be using it to make some delicious garlic bread to go along with that. If you add about ¼ cup of Parmesan to the mixture then you can have a great cheesy garlic bread. Yum! If all goes well, I will be sharing the lasagna recipe with you soon.
As I mentioned in my recipe for tomato soup for two, I save money on chicken broth by buying Better Than Bouillon chicken base and mixing up my own chicken broth in the amount I need for the recipe. One jar has 38 servings. You can usually find it in the soup section of your grocery store, or on Amazon as I linked above. I got this tip from America's Test Kitchen.
You don't really need to garnish as I did for these photos, but if you'd like to add some color, I used chopped tomatoes and green onions. Red bell peppers would add a nice pop of color too.
It looks like this will be my last recipe for 2015, and since I've only been blogging for a few months I don't have any roundups of my best recipes for 2015, or any of my food disasters to share (although there have been a few of those!), I am looking forward to sharing many delicious recipes with you in 2016. Thank you for sharing this journey with me.
Happy New Year!!
Garlic and Herb Long Grain Rice
Garlic butter (yields one cup)
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1-2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 Tablespoon garlic butter (see recipe above)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter and minced garlic. Add Italian seasoning and pepper and mix to combine.
- In a rice cooker or medium saucepan fitted with a tight-fitting lid, combine chicken broth, rice, garlic butter (remember you're only using 1-2 tablespoon garlic butter and not the whole recipe) and salt. If using a rice cooker, cook according to cooker instructions. If using a saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 12 minutes. Remove from heat keeping the lid on, and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Fluff and enjoy!