A layer of Gnocchi makes up the crust of this delicious quiche loaded with Italian flavors: oregano, Italian cheese blend, garlic and basil. A tasty and festive holiday breakfast!
Happy Friday! I have another breakfast dish for you today. As I was making this recipe I was loving how wonderfully colorful it is. It just looks so festive! So I am going to call this a my holiday quiche. I think it would be a great dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning. Don't you think it's kinda nice that each person gets their own individual serving? I do. I like serving things this way. It makes things easier, I think. Plus it makes each person feel special that they are getting their own little individual quiche.
Now this quiche is a little different in that I used cooked gnocchi to serve as the crust. Yes, it might be unusual, but I thought it would be fun to try something a little unique. Eggs and potatoes go well together and since gnocchi is usually made with potato, it just works.
The cheese blend I used is the six cheese Italian blend by Sargento (mozzarella, smoked provolone, romano, fontina, asiago and Parmesan). If your grocery store doesn't carry it, then I recommend making your own blend of mozzarella, smoked provolone and Parmesan cheese. Those cheeses are usually readily available and not too expensive.
I also opted to roast my red bell pepper. I think roasting peppers brings out their flavor. I provide instructions for how to roast a pepper in the recipe notes below. You can also use jarred roasted peppers. It's easy to roast peppers, though, so I would recommend just roasting them yourself. You can even roast an extra pepper to keep in your fridge to dress up your favorite sandwich or soup. I used roasted peppers in my portabello panini bites, three bean chili with bacon, and breakfast panini. Speaking of the breakfast panini, you really should check it out. It's my most popular recipe to date. It's quick, easy and absolutely delicious!
Italian Gnocchi Quiche
- 2 cups gnocchi
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ cup Italian cheese blend See recipe note below
- 1 clove garlic minced (about ½ tsp.)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh spinach squeezed dry and chopped
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper roasted and chopped. See recipe note below.
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place eggs, milk, salt, oregano, basil and cheese in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and spinach, about 1 minute.
- Stir spinach, garlic, tomatoes and pepper into egg mixture.
- Arrange gnocchi in a single layer in the bottom of four 8 oz. ramekins. Pour egg mixture over the top. Place ramekins in a baking dish and bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes or until centers are still slightly soft. The quiches will continue setting up outside of the oven. You don't want to overbake.