Buttermilk Waffles and Snickerdoodle Cookies Rolled Into One
I am excited to share this buttermilk waffle recipe with you today. The classic snickerdoodle cookie is the inspiration behind the recipe. If you don’t know what a snickerdoodle cookie is it is a sugar cookie that is dusted with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon and then baked. Our snickerdoodle buttermilk waffles use the same sugar cinnamon mixture, but the mixture is sprinkled on the waffles after they are cooked, while the waffles are still piping hot. The mixture then melts into the surface of the waffle and forms a delicious sugar and cinnamon crust.
Waffles or pancakes?
I don’t know about you, but I always preferred waffles to pancakes. I love the crisp and crunchy outer crust, along with the soft and chewy center. Plus the grooves and indentations create great vessels for holding a lot of syrup!
How to Make Snickerdoodle Buttermilk Waffles
1. In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift dry ingredients together.
3. In a separate large bowl combine the wet ingredients.
4. Using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla until frothy, about two minutes on high speed.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until nearly smooth. Do not overstir.
6. Mixture should look like this. A few remaining lumps are okay.
7. Add about 1 to 1-1/2 cup batter to waffle iron and cook for about 5 minutes.
Step 8. Dust with cinnamon sugar mixture while waffles are still hot.
I hope you love these snickerdoodle-inspired buttermilk waffles as much as I did. If you’ve tried the recipe or have any questions, please let me know in the comments!
Snickerdoodle-Inspired Buttermilk Waffles
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl with a handheld mixer, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla until frothy, about two minutes on high speed.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until nearly smooth. Do not overstir – a few small lumps are okay,
- Add 1 to 1-1/2 cup batter to waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions, about 5 minutes.
- While waffle is still hot, sprinkle cinnamon sugar topping on both sides of waffle. Repeat last two steps until batter is gone.