If you enjoy the traditional caprese salad, then you're going to love this pasta variation. It's so light and takes advantage of the tomatoes and basil that are in season right now. I've been enjoying this for lunch everyday this week and never tire of it. The classic flavor combination is always a winner, and who can argue with pasta. Not me. I love pasta in all shapes, sizes and flavors.
If you can boil water, then you can make this. It's so easy and comes together in 30 minutes or less.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice plus extra as needed
- 1 shallot small, minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds tomatoes cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cut into 1/2-inch pieces and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 pound penne pasta or fusilli, or other short, tubular pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper together in large bowl.Add tomatoes and gently toss to combine; set aside. Do not marinate tomatoes for longer than 45 mins.
- While tomatoes are marinating, place mozzarella on plate and freeze until slightly firm, about 10 mins.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1 tbsp salt and cook, stirring often, until al dente, about 10 mins. Drain pasta well.
- Add pasta and mozzarella to tomato mixture and gently toss to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in basil, season with additional lemon juice, salt, pepper, and sugar to taste, and serve immediately.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.