This hearty and healthy whole grain pancake breakfast casserole packs 15 grams of protein that will keep you satisfied all morning. It’s the perfect brunch recipe idea that will free you from the griddle so that you can enjoy the company of your guests. It is also a great make ahead and freeze breakfast recipe. Serve with warm maple syrup.
We are celebrating Thanksgiving here in the United States, and I know that many of you are looking for breakfast casserole recipes to serve to your loved ones this holiday season. I decided to depart from the usual ingredients that you find in a breakfast casserole, namely eggs, hash browns and breakfast meats. Pancakes are always popular but I wanted to free you from the griddle and share a pancake recipe with you that can be baked in your oven. This will free you up to spend more time with your loved ones.
I know this pancake breakfast casserole may look a little strange with melted cheddar and bacon on top. I know we don’t normally serve our pancakes with melted cheese and bacon, but, believe me, it’s delicious! Trust me on this one. Served with warm maple syrup, it’s amazing.
This recipe is made with whole wheat flour, making it a healthy alternative. One serving will keep you satisfied all morning. You can always substitute all-purpose white flour if you prefer.
As I mentioned above, this is a great recipe to use when you are entertaining for brunch or breakfast, but it’s also a great make-ahead recipe that you can cut into individual portions and freeze, for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast that you can heat up when you get to the office.
Watch how easy it is to make:
I hope you enjoy this hearty and delicious pancake breakfast casserole. Please let me know in the comments what you think.
Pancake Breakfast Casserole (Whole Grain)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk 1% lowfat
- 3 cups lowfat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 3 eggs
- 14 slices cooked bacon crumbled and divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 5 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat milk, buttermilk, butter, eggs and maple syrup until frothy.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry. Reserve 1/2 cup bacon for later. Stir the rest into the bowl. Stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese. Stir until just combined and no lumps remain.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish, and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle bacon and remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese over casserole. Return to oven until cheese is melted, about five more minutes.
- Serve with warm maple syrup. Enjoy!