I've been wanting to make this recipe for a while, but for some inexplicable reason I hadn't given it a try. It contains so many delicious things: pasta, tomatoes, basil, red onion, garlic and vinegar and olive oil. Also it just doesn't get any simpler. It only uses 9 ingredients and is table ready in about 20 minutes. You can use fresh tomatoes, but I opted for canned diced tomatoes. As I mentioned in my post for Tomato Soup for Two, canned tomatoes provide more consistent flavor year-round than fresh tomatoes.
This recipe comes from the Mayo Clinic cookbook of award winning recipes. I've been wanting to add more healthy recipes to my cooking repertoire. I've had this cookbook for a while, but to be honest, I've avoided making anything from it because the ingredient lists are so long for so many of the recipes. You're probably put off by long ingredient lists too, right? Fortunately, this delicious uses only 9 ingredients most of which you probably already have on hand.
It makes a great side dish. Enjoy it with a sandwich or wrap. Or you can throw a bit of grilled chicken or shrimp in to make it a main dish. It's great for lunch or dinner. This will definitely be one of my go-to recipes. It's so delicious, healthy, quick and easy. Also, it's inspired me to try more of the recipes from this cookbook, even if the ingredient list is long. I hope you will give it a try and let me know what you think.
Bowtie Pasta with Simple Tomato Sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- ½ cup fresh basil, julienned plus whole leaves for garnish
- 3 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 3 tbsp. olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. minced garlic 1 clove
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- ½ pound bow tie pasta (farfalle)
- To make the sauce, in a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, julienned basil, onion, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss gently to mix.
- Cook the bow tie pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
- Divide the pasta among warmed individual bowls. Top each serving with sauce and garnish with a fresh basil leaf.
Nutritional information provided is for one serving and is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.